Sunday, March 09, 2014

'The women are up to something'

I informed the Senior Proctor of my intention to oppose Mr. Truman's degree. He consulted the Registrar to get me informed on procedure. The Vice-Chancellor was informed; I was cautiously asked if I had got up a party. I had not; but a fine House was whipped up to vote for the honour. The dons at St. John's were simply told 'The women are up to something in Convocation; we have to go and vote them down.' In Worcester, in All Soul's, in New College, however, consciences were greatly exercised, as I have heard. A reason was found to satisfy them: It would be wrong to try to PUNISH Mr. Truman! I must say I rather like St. John's.

G. E. M. Anscombe, "Mr. Truman's Degree" (1958).

ADDED LATER: The really sad thing, of course, is that this is still how academics work.